Monday, July 7, 2008

Week 5 - Thing 10


Some of the mashup tools I already did in previous weeks using the Warholizer and the plastic bead maker. None of the others, right now, looked interesting on that site, so I moved on to the Comic Strip link.

My first attempt was the cartoon bubble. Not too difficult but instructions are rather sparse. I wanted to move the thought bubble and couldn't find out how to do that, so it is where it is. ugh - I hate that saying "It is what it is." Really? Thanks for telling me that one. I digress..

Looking around a bit more, I saw the special effects page and loved these ripples - like a hypnotic trance - so I saved the picture with the special effects, went back to the cartoon bubble and entered the text. Then, I looked around some more, being distracted every step of the way with characters like Homer, Stewie, Darth Vader, Storm Troopers... thinking I'd add one of them on the image. They distracted from the visual message - that sense of overwhelming, head-spinning, can't possibly keep up - of Web 2.0.

What I decided to add was a border, also available on the same site to the picture with the cartoon bubble and the special effects. So, this image from my digital camera, has three manipulations - the speech bubble, the special effects, and the border. I am sticking with this one. I like it.

Looking at this just gave me a thought of how to use this in the curriculum. One of my dear friends, an English teacher, is constantly looking for new ways to integrate technology into her lessons. Visual literacy is also something we feel the kids need to know. Creating an image such as this, instead of a power point (yuck) or MovieMaker (which can be bothersome) students could find or take a picture, "mash-it-up" to present their message. Technology, visual literacy, synthesis all rolled into one project. To take it even further, an accompanying essay could explain the picture to focus on great beginnings, supporting details, etc. to reinforce writing skills.

No comments: