Friday, July 11, 2008

Week 5 - Thing 11

Checked out the short list of Web 2.0 Awards....so, so many. Often as I look at these tools, I focus on "how can this be used in school to help the teachers or students"; this time my focus was "how can this help me". Being a bit selfish right now.

I saw Pandora, which I absolutely love and use all of the time since I am cheap and am not willing to pay for Sirius radio yet. But it was only a second place winner, so I needed to find out what the winner had that Pandora did not. The name of the the winner is Last and what it has that Pandora does not is the social aspect. For example, you can connect to other listeners and what they listen to, check out concerts, videos, etc. Great features, if you are a thirty-something or less. I'll stick with Pandora.

Then, I moved onto the Health winners. Both Revolution Health and PEERtrainer are very well organized, useful and full of information. PEERtrainer's focus is on weight loss and fitness - both of which I definitely have on my "to do" list. This is a great site and I plan on using it to help me achieve my health goals this year. You can join a group with members that will encourage you on your way, keep a food diary, track calories, join in chats, peer trainers, etc. The site is very user friendly, has a logical layout, and is free!

Applications for PEERtrainer in the library would be just for providing the link for people to use. I would show it to the health teachers also to see if they would find it useful for students. Other than that, this was a selfish exploration to see what I could find for me, myself, and I.

No comments: