Friday, July 4, 2008

Week 4 - Thing 9


Catching up on reading magazines from the school year and found in Teacher Librarian's June journal from Esther Rosenfeld's notebook this wiki to check out. It was created by Dr. Baumbach and Dr. Lee of the University of Central Florida. The whole wiki discusses 2.0 tools and is appropriately named WebTools4U2Use. Here is the link. On the left side are lots of applications and what they are for - I only read the blog posting, and not all of that, but it really clarifies all of the uses a blog could be used for school libraries.

http://webtools4u2use.wikispaces.com

Checked out a variety of blogs and what is available; I am finding many blogs are like reading diaries for gossip. One blog I did check out, that lead to fame and fortune (and I know about it), is Diablo Cody's blog. Someone in show business read her blog and encouraged to write her book Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper, which ultimately led to her writing Juno. Years ago when my daughter Leah (her image today) was living in Chicago she talked about her friend Brooke, who was dating her boyfriend's older brother, and how much fun they would have together. Leah shared that Brooke wasn't sure what to do with her life and was contemplating being a librarian, so Brooke and I talked a little about being a librarian. However, life took her in another direction to Minneapolis, blogging, screen writing, and now an Oscar winning screenwriter! I think she chose wisely. Not that there's anything wrong with being a librarian.

Reading the RSS feeds on anything you might be remotely interested in could consume all of the time available in a day. I limited my blogs, except for recipes right now, to technology or library. I still like to hold paper in my hands for most reading or indulging in mind junk food like Star or The Enquirer every now and again. All work and no play makes me dull. Checked out Technorati, OK; checked out Syndic8, OK; checked out SuprGlu, love it! I also put the "school library learning 2.0" in Google, found 33 matches which were basically entries like this. So, I guess we are finding ourselves. We need to expand our very, small library world.

2 comments:

Mary Schwander said...

Thanks for sharing the wiki on WebTools4u2use - What a great find!

Mrs. Arnold said...

You are welcome.