Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week 3 - Thing 6


Used the trading card link to create this card of my mom. Here she is!

There are numerous ways to use this in the curriculum - famous authors/artists/scientists/etc., countries/books/events.

However, what is becoming so very clear to me as I examine these tools, is that it really isn't about the tool, but what needs to be taught to students first and then modeled correctly. My friend and I have these discussions all of the time with our principal about exactly what it is that students need to learn. Can they pick up how to use these tools on their own? They could probably teach me a thing or sixty in regards to what all is out there in their world. Because, frankly, it is their world. I am a visitor in this online world that changes and expands everyday.

As I was selecting the card information, following the procedure to do it was easy enough. What gave me thought was what I wanted to write, how I should write it concisely and clearly, and without being too dramatic (although it was horrifying to see my mom in that condition - but she was the one enduring). So, even though these tools are cool, what really needs to be taught is reading, and writing, and summarizing, and thinking. Modeled for students; practiced with students; performed on their own with guidance and feedback until they feel successful.

No comments: