Saturday, September 20, 2008

Week #9 - Thing 22

At first I thought "Who exactly would want to read a book on a computer screen? Or the new Kindle from Amazon? Or on your iphone? That is just weird." OK. I am the mom of two of those weirdos. My son, who in high school threw The Diary of Anne Frank on the floor and said, and I am quoting "I am NOT reading that. It is a chick book." is now reading Immanuel Kant on his Kindle. My youngest daughter downloads to her iphone indie books from around the world showcasing new art styles as well as fashion shows, etc. on that tiny little gadget that fits in a sock.

OK. I must be the weirdo. I like paper and the feel of turning pages. I can't pay attention to stories on the Playaways I have for the kids in school. I miss whole chapters because my mind wanders. I am a digital immigrant. Is there a Digital Immigrant Anonymous?

Well, back to the task at hand or thing, shall I say. I searched the Internet Archive and found the Masque of the Red Death (feeling a bit Halloween-y) The book popped up and I could use the arrows to page through the book on the monitor. Not bad. Not the same, but not bad. Checked out more composers than I ever heard of on IMSLP and found something from Bach. Useful perhaps for music teachers and a link to share. Was not entralled with Project Gutenburg nor the British site. Moved onto ManyBooks.net - liked the way this one was arranged. You could select genres, so I looked at Banned Books - interesting, and Fiction - found Anne Of Green Gables in audio with a variety of choices to download to including the Kindle and the iphone, as well as another favorite Wuthering Heights. Cool. This is nice, very nice. And LibriVox is free. Even better.

I will need to add these to the wiki pages.

No comments: